Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Here's the spring BREAK story





Matt and I decided to go out Denver this spring break like we did last year to see Jared and Natalie. We woke up super early Tuesday (4 am) and flew into Denver. Jared had that day off so we all went up to Silverthorne were the Antrobus' lived for several years. We saw the old Wendy's, the park that they played at as kids, the church building they went to and their old house.


Wednesday Jared had to work so Matt went with him to the hospital. Natalie and I took the kids to this AMAZING park. This place was huge, with sections for younger and older kids, a small rock wall, slides everywhere...the list goes on. Let's just say that I've never seen a park so big and so fun. Hud's a little intimidated by slides he doesn't know, he will go down the small slides in our backyard all by himself, but any park we go to he likes to to ride on my lap. We went down the slide that curved back and forth, and he LOVED it! He had a huge smile on his face! So we tried it a second time. But this time the rubber on his shoe caught on the slide and we were on a curve and I think my body went into his leg the same time it got bent back. He immediately started crying, but I just thought that he got scared. So I took him back to our picnic table and he was screaming, crying and shaking a little bit. He sat next to me a laid his head on my lap and continued to scream and cry until he finally fell asleep. We took him home and put him in bed where he continued to sleep for another good 2+ hours. But when he woke up I could tell something was wrong, he refused to stand and he was a little lethargic. I really knew something was wrong when he took his little green lovey blanket and rubbed it on his foot. I texted Matt and told him what was going on, he a Jared came home from the hospital a few hours later, only to turn around and go right back (sorry Jared!) They x-rayed his leg and saw that he had a brake in his right tibia, it was a very small brake that was non-displaced. They put a temporary splint on so that his leg would have room to swell.


One week later when we were back in California I had his leg x-rayed again. The next day we went to see the orthopedist to have him check his x-rays and to possibly get a cast. I was super annoyed when the dr. was looking at the x-ray, I just didn't have any confidence in his skills, he was pointing out two different marks saying, "this could be where it's broken, or maybe this part here. Or this could just be a blood vessel." Really? This is your speciality and 'this could be where it's broken' is what you have to say. Pick a new specialty dude. So we got Hud's leg in a cast all the way up to his upper thigh with his leg slightly bent so that he won't be able to walk on it. The cast has been on about 2 1/2 weeks and we have 3 weeks to go. Hud's a little trooper and has figured out how to get around with the cast on.



Overall we have a crazy story about our trip to Denver. Thanks Jared & Natalie! I hope that next year won't be as crazy!


1 comment:

Megan said...

Aw, poor guy! Other the that little incident...looks like a nice time!